Sunday, August 10, 2014

we have be getting visits from ..

This gorgeous creature ... now normally I do not like these little things ... especially when they come as big as this one .. reckon it is about 6 foot long ... I am not about to get my tape measure out to find out exactly .. but it would be about that size ..




And this is one of those rare types that we have here in Australia .. A python ... we call them Carpet Snakes ... I find them truly beautiful and it is harmless ... well maybe not harmless but it is non poisonous ... which in my book makes it fairly harmless ... unless of course your a baby bird .. an egg .. or a smallish rodent .. then .. look out cos you will probably end up on the menu ...






Now we first noticed this bloke on the 25th of July ... he was just wandering around the yard ... probably looking for lunch and the birdlife was giving hin a terrible time ... and then he found a hidey hole away from the pesky birds and rested for the afternoon in a semi sunny spot .. then later that afternoon we saw him travelling and I am guessing it is where he currently lives .. but he headed for back under our house ... 




And that was the last we saw of him until this morning ... he appeared again ... this time definately from under the house ... which I will say I truly do not mind as he will keep the mice population down and we have not had any in the house all winter and that is fine by me ... would rather a Carpet Snake than a mouse any day ... 

anyway by the time I stopped the dog from barking at it and went to get my camera he was gone ... up a tree ... and I could not see it ... the only way I knew where it had gone was cos that is where the dog was jumping up and barking her fool head off... 

anyway .. I found him ... way up on the top branches of the custard apple tree ... sunning himself in peace and quiet .. well he will have that until the birds spy him then they will hound him off again ... they are only protecting their young ... and some of them have those too .. we have a heap of baby lorrikeets about .. I hear them scretching for food ... now these birds are beautiful to look at ... but oh my they sound dreadful ... haha .. 

here he is ... up the tree ... can you see him???





now ... off to do some sewing ... may be back later today with some photos of what I have done ... 



1 comment: